Search This Blog

Saturday, March 8, 2014

Starling Trapping Update

I had to share my exciting news on my starling trapping regimen.

Today I caught 13 starlings.  1 in a nest box trap, 1 in a single catch trap, and 11 in my funnel trap.  The funnel trap is amazing.  The starlings walk right in.  My grand total for the year is 79 starlings. 

The flickers are quite happy, eating suet and not being bothered by the starlings.  I really think they will have a chance at successful nesting in my yard this year.  A female is still spending time in her box almost daily.  The starlings have not chased her away. But now I see why our woodpeckers have such a difficult time competing with starlings.  A pair of woodpeckers might be able to keep one starling at bay, but when the starling population is so great, they don’t have much of a chance.


Northern Flickers are widespread and common, but numbers decreased by almost 1.5 percent per year between 1966 and 2010, resulting in a cumulative decline of 46 percent, according to the North American Breeding Bird Survey.


See more information about trapping starlings at http://www.kansasnativeplants.com/yard_birds_europeanstarling.php (scroll to the bottom to see the amazing funnel trap)

No comments: