Search This Blog

Thursday, January 17, 2019

Lapland Longspurs 2019



On January 14, 2019, a couple days after a snowstorm, I decided to go searching for lapland longspurs in the Kansas River Valley west of Topeka. The river valley is flat agricultural land with few trees. That is perfect habitat for lapland longspurs. And the best time to search for them is after it snows when they can be found on gravel roads.
After searching for about an hour I came upon a road covered with birds. I knew they were lapland longspurs. I just turned off the truck and set the camera on the side mirror. This is the video I captured. There were at least 200 of them.
Lapland longspurs breed in the arctic but spend their winters in most of the United States. They are called longspurs because of a long claw on their hind toe.
Once I recorded this, a truck drove by and they flew out to the middle of a field. I think I got lucky to be so close to a large group of them.
I hope you get to see lapland longspurs someday as they are such interesting birds.

No comments: