Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 26, 2018

How to Attract Warblers with a Spray Sprinkler 2018



How to Attract Warblers with a Spray Sprinkler 2018

The sprinkler I used is a Gardena spray sprinkler.  I like it because it creates a mist.  I’ve had this sprinkler for over 10 years and it still works like a charm. Look for a link in the description for this sprinkler.

To use the sprinkler, attach a hose to it, push the spike end into the ground near some tall vegetation, and turn on the hose.  If there are birds in the area they will be attracted to the mist almost immediately.

All of the footage of birds in this video have been slowed down to half the original speed to make it a bit easier to watch these fast moving birds.

On September 20 2018 in my Topeka Kansas yard I noticed small warbler like birds flying around in the trees.  For the past 5 days we were having temperatures in the 90s with strong south winds.  I decided to set up my small spray sprinkler next to some tall vegetation to see if it would attract the birds for better looks.  I was amazed at the number of warblers coming to bathe and drink in the mist.

I counted more than ten at one time in the area of the sprinkler.

I believe this is an orange-crowned warbler based on the fact that it is olive above and below with no eyering or wingbars. Furthermore it appears to have a relatively short tail. It may also be yellow warbler as it does seem to have some yellow below.  I’m no warbler expert so please let me know if you come up with a different identification.

These two warblers appear more uniform yellow. But I still believe they are orange crowned warblers because of their uniform color.  They also have a relatively short tail.  What species do you think they are?

This warbler is an easy one to identify.  It’s a male Wilson’s warbler.  The black cap and yellow body are its signature characteristics.  It’s always a treat to see one of these as we Kansans only see them during migration.

I believe this warbler is a yellow warbler.  Yellow warblers are quite variable in color.  Some are grayish, while others are brownish but some are bright yellow.  Note this bird’s brownish back and pale yellow breast with faint streaking.  It also has a relatively long tail.

Sadly I wasn’t prepared to record all the warblers that visited the sprinkler.  I did not get footage of the black-throated green or the northern parulas.  Good luck in using this sprinkler to attract warblers to your yard!



Get the Gardena Spray Sprinkler at https://amzn.to/2zt0cRi



Get Books on Warblers

The Warbler Guide: https://amzn.to/2zs3Zyd

A Field Guide to Warblers of North America: https://amzn.to/2QY9XgZ

No comments: