Search This Blog

Monday, September 10, 2018

Test Tube Hummingbird Feeder 2018



This is my favorite kind of hummingbird feeder. I like it for a number of reasons. #1, it only holds a small amount of sugar water which is consumed before it goes bad. #2 it is incredibly easy to clean using a test tube cleaning brush. And #3 it suctions onto a window for easy viewing from inside your home. I put a link in the description where you can get a feeder like this. Because hummingbirds are territorial, its a good idea to have more than one feeder like this. I have 3 of them. Each is mounted on a different side of my house. I recorded these hummingbirds on September 8 2018 in my Topeka Kansas yard. Most Hummingbirds migrate through Kansas from Mid July until the first hard freeze of October. Most of the hummingbirds seen in eastern Kansas are ruby-throated hummingbirds. The mature males migrate first, followed by the females. The birds seen in these videos are probably immature birds as they are the last to migrate. Watching these clips you can see subtle differences in each bird. I assume they are all ruby-throated hummingbirds. I believe the ones with a little color on the throat are young males. The ones with a clear throat are likely females.

No comments: