Search This Blog

Monday, September 24, 2018

Tersa Sphinx Moth 2018



Tersa Sphinx (Xylophanes tersa) Moth 2018 This moth showed up in my driveway in Topeka Kansas on September 13, 2018. I was really wowed by its appearance. Based on the online maps for the tersa sphinx moth there was only one record of it in the state. Upon further investigation, I learned there are records of it from about 10 counties in eastern Kansas. It’s definitely not a commonly seen moth in the state. The adults nectar at tubular flowers at night and are attracted to lights. The caterpillars feed on members of the Madder (Rubiaceae) family of plants as well as on Catalpa (Bignonaceae). I decided to try to get some better video and pictures. As I was nudging the moth to a better position it flew into my wildflower patch. I couldn’t find it again as it is a master of camouflage. Sorry to say, this is all the footage that I was able to get.

No comments: